Started Jun 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
7enderbender
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
Canon wireless flash in broad daylight
Jun 6, 2011

With all the criticism regarding the Canon wireless flash system and some issues with especially the 580EXII in general, I thought it might be fair to also post the positive experiences.

I took my 5D2, a 580EXII and a 430EXII yesterday to shoot some pictures of my daughter playing tennis etc. I was going for the look with the 3pm sun in the frame and an underexposed background and high speed sync.

I was fully expecting that the Canon wireless system wouldn't work in bright daylight and already thought about an alternative setup with cheap radio remotes and manual flash. To my pleasant surprise the 580 triggered the light stand mounted 430 without any issues and both provided enough power to easily light the foreground even at 1/8000 and f stops between 4 and 5.6.

With that in mind I'm even wondering if it may be worth buying the Yongnuo version of the ST-E2 or the Canon original. I know that it is a different light source and that it doesn't allow for a group C. But still.

Have a great week everyone.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow