Started Jun 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?
SD15 autofocus poll
Jun 6, 2011

Please post your experiences with SD15 autofocus. Is it consistent with the same lens, does it vary with lenses, is it affected differently when light levels change, etc.

As a SD15 owner, I have gained some understanding of how SD14 owners feel about the flaky autofocus. With my Canon 30D, inconsistencies were merely annoying, and any given lens seemed to autofocus well in good conditions.

I never had a problem with it in the SD15 when using my first lens, a 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM. Even in low light it did just fine! Even now, it autofocuses best. Funny how the more expensive lenses seem to work not anywhere near as well.

It was so bad when I got my 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM that I ended up sending both camera and lens to Sigma USA for "matching" or calibration (or whatever they call it). it was returned in a week, working just fine.

I have inconsistent results with my 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM. In good light it is pretty good but in bad light it tends to autofocus behind the subjects or not at all. Should I send it back to Sigma USA with the camera for another "matching" session?

It's a little odd, how autofocusing my 85mm several times will give different results, particularly in low light. Then, on other days, I get perfection!

Now I have ordered a APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM. Should I simply send the camera along with every new lens to Sigma USA for "matching" or calibration? Why should this be part of the process? I'm getting fed up with this! Is it time to go with manual focus all the time, or manual M42 lenses and forget about the convenience of autofocus?

This is why I want to know your experiences with SD15 autofocus and the various lenses you have.

Thanks in advance for your views.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow