GPS unit is nice but where is our tethering support...real tethering I mean

Started Jun 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ptodd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,324Gear list
Like?
Re: smartphones
In reply to brecklundin, Jun 6, 2011

brecklundin wrote:

I don't know about using a cell phone to record GPS data as I only use a throw-a-way these days, stopped carrying a cell about 15-years ago now. But if the GPS in the cell does not use the triangulation via cell towers method and instead uses satellite signs then sure why not if you can use software that can merge the tracking data with photos as you move them to your computer.

I think proper GPS is fairly ubiquitous in smartphones these days. AFAIK they do still use cell towers or similar to assist the GPS in getting it's initial lock.

Just recently, I've been happily using a Motorola Defy (rugged / waterproof smartphone) & GeoSetter software after importing photos (I like this better than the popular lightroom geotagging extension because I don't need to explicitly tell it which track file to use). I do wish the Defy didn't crash so much and Moto were better at updating the software (or preferably didn't bother with their Android customisations), but I digress. Loaded up with some decent maps, it makes a very good hiking / outdoor photography companion.

(ps, the kind of hole I meant was more of a 'not posting on dpr' one, I think maybe it was interpreted differently, although we may well inhabit some other similar metaphorical holes :))
--
Peter

ptodd's gear list:ptodd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K-x Samsung D-Xenon 50-200 F4-5.6 ED Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow