Started Jun 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hooley
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Isle of Man TT
Jun 5, 2011

I am lucky to live on the Isle of Man and experience the TT races every year, although I am giving it all up to move to the USA in September. We are currently in the middle of the 2011 TT races. For those who don't know, the TT races are motorcycle races held on closed public roads around a 37.75 mile circuit. The single seater complete 6 laps in some races with top speeds of 180mph, average speeds of 130. The Isle of Man has a population of around 80000 people but every year, 40000 more people descend upon us bringing around 15000 motorbikes. It's fantastic. I was watching the racing yesterday at a place called Ballacraine. Sat on a bank by the side of the road close enough to touch the riders as they rode by at 80mph, all I had to use was my 60D, a Sigma 17-70 lens which was still too close even at 17mm, a swivel screen, 1/8000sec and my legs as a tripod. Due to my location, it was too dangerous for panning there is no impression of speed and I took countless pictures of empty tarmac. I am hopeless at sports photography but don't mind playing. These photo's are, in all honesty, pure luck and a lot of judgement. No critique necessary, they're not brilliant but I thought I'd share this unique sporting event the best way I could.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow