Started Jun 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
arizonadesertrat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,323Gear list
Like?
Images of the US - Mexican border
Jun 4, 2011

I live and work close to our southern border. Once or twice a year I drive my truck alongside the border just to see what changes have been made.

Recently I heard our president proclaim that our border is secure and heard him make humorous references to moats and alligators. I couldn't help but to balance that against the daily articles in our newspapers of the tons of drugs and truck loads of illegals the BP catches at and within the first 100 miles north of the border.

The pictures I took this time, a week ago, are no works of art nor marvels of my photographic prowess. I took them to show what this "secure" border actually looks like.

Before I was able to take the very first picture, while I was leaning against the railroad track vehicle barrier (about 10 feet inside the US), I was standing in a deep wash lined with cottonwoods and mesquite trees I was lining up my first shot, trying to compose the image when I heard a noise to my right. When I turned my head, I was looking straight at an AK-47 assault rifle being held by a figure standing in the shadow of a large mesquite tree, dressed all in black with a black hood and face mask standing no more than 15 meters away. He held perfectly still, never moved a muscle. He stood like a soldier who was trained in the 8 steady hold factors and had all of them under perfect control.

My first reaction was to duck but then I realized that any such maneuver could entice him to simply pull the trigger and end my life. I lifted both hands high in the air, being very careful not to point my D7000 at him, slowly turned, all the while waiting to hear the crack of the rifle, walked the 20 feet to my truck, got in and hauled ass out of the area as fast as my truck could forge a way thru the desert brush.

These photographs are of the same area, 5 miles further west and 30 minutes later.

The very sight of these signs should anger every American.

A 3ft vehicle barrier that might stop a Honda Accord and 5 strands of barbed wire that stop no one as far as the eye can see. Secure border?

Looking from the border NE into the US.

These concrete markers used to be the only physical sign of a border. Flags were attached to them so Ranchers on both sides could tell where the border was.

Anyone who is trying to tell you that our southern border is secure is either too stupid to know better or lying thru his teeth.

-- hide signature --

Fiat Lux

arizonadesertrat's gear list:arizonadesertrat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +12 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow