D7000 Focus problems,a test of 30 shots and focus comparison between d5100 and d7000

Started May 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
Robert Palmqvist
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?
Re: Ive done the test, could you pls analyse the result
In reply to ocean76, Jun 4, 2011

ocean76 wrote:

Does it show that sth is wrong with my camera?

I don't know about your camera but I can tell you this as a reference. I have done several tests on my D7000 since the day I got it. I have used different focus charts and techniques and under different lighting conditions. I started out with everything from a back-focus of -45mm to a front-focus of 20mm. The weather has been pretty bad here in Montreal so the fist time a had a chance to redo these tests outdoor was last weekend. Same setup as yours if perfect sunlight. I was amazed by the result, my 16-85 was spot on. I compared MF, AF through VF and AF through LV. They all came out more or less the same and I would say that AF through VF was the one that gave most consistent results.

My head was filled with gremlins after everything I have read on this board. Seeing my D7000 perform flawlessly last weekend made most of them go away. I still don't fully trust the MM but it's probably just a matter of getting to know it better. The same goes for SS. I had to keep it up in the beginning to get sharp pictures and it sure doesn't hurt too keep it as high as possible. But I'm starting to get the hang of it and managed to consistently produce sharp images handheld down-to 1/40 today (16-85 and VR). So I think I might be able to start trusting this camera with slower SS if I keep working on my technique.

I just want to say that I totally love shooting with my D7000 as a counterweight to all the bashing. I feel for the ones with faulty bodies because I'm sure there's lemons out there. But I can also see how my own experience has grown from lukewarm to pure joy over the last 2000 frames. Sure you could argue that an expensive camera should perform flawlessly and I expect stellar QC from Nikon (I really feel for the ones with oil spots on sensors etc.). But you also got to ask your self if you given the D7000 a fair chance. I have to confess that i have doubted mine more than once but I'm slowly starting to get over it...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow