Helios 44 58/2 M39 mount ?

Started Jun 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
kaktusss
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
Re: Helios 44 58/2 M39 mount ?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Jun 3, 2011

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Ah, that changes the choices; you already have a fast 50, now you want something compact. I can understand that, but I'm not clear on why the compact 50 also needs to be fast. Personally I'd rather have a tiny lens of modest aperture than a bigger, faster lens that needs to be stopped down anyway to make it acceptably sharp.

Here's how I reasoned : all old lenses I have are rather soft wide open. For example, I hardly ever use my Rokkor at 1.4, my best pictures are taken at 2-2.8. That's why I thought that the Jupiter 8 would be usable (I mean sharp) at 2.8 (which is fine for me) and the Industar 61 would be usable at 3.5 (which is too much for me). Correct me if I'm wrong about the I-61, which by the way is half the price of the J-8.

When I need "fast" I use my Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton (L39 mount) which is very sharp from wide open but rather big by rangefinder standards. Your Rokkor covers the same usage area of course.

However, when I need "compact" I reach for my Leitz Elmar 50/3.5 collapsible - they don't come more compact than that! I'm told the inexpensive Russian copies (Industar-22, Industar-50 collapsible) can be as good or better than the Elmar optically although I have no personal experience of them.

3.5 is too much for what I want to do, but these lenses sure look funny to use !

The J-8 is fine if it was the only 50 you had and may occasionally need f/2, but it's not as good optically as (say) the similarly priced Industar-61 (52/2.8) which has much nicer rendering as well as being sharper than the J-8 and with less CA and distortion.

You mean that the I-61 will be better at 2.8 than the J-8 at 2.8 ?
I've read you post about it and it seems difficult to find a good sample :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=37964227

The I-61 is top of my personal league table of best performance/price ratio for rangefinder lenses but the Elmar (or I-22, I-50) is by far the most compact.

Thanks for all the details !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow