Started Jun 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jag64551
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
Need a good portable softbox system from the ground up
Jun 3, 2011

First of all, let me apologize - I know there are many other threads about softboxes, with lots of good information, but I felt i needed to lay out what I'm looking for specifically as I've never had experience with them before.

I use mostly natural light for what I do, but I am planning to start offering a package for online profile shots, so mainly heads hots, shots that are waist-up, and MAYBE the occasional full body shot. I would be traveling to clients homes, offices and probably outdoor locations for these shoots. I would also use it occasionally for baby shoots and fill flash outdoors (not as important).

I have a Canon 580 EX II, and plan on keeping that around. I've got a Paul C. Buff transmitter for my camera (40D) and receiver for the flash unit. Those have worked great so far.

What I need is a good system for light diffusion. I would need everything from a stand to the softbox to the flashring, mount, etc. I'd like to keep it under $200 for all of that if possible. Since I'm starting out with this, I'm not looking to break the bank, however, I don't want to just go on ebay and get the cheapest thing. I've done that before, and it never works out. Also open to suggestions on anything else I might want for these types of shoots (reflectors, etc).

Any and all advice is welcome! Sorry to sounds so newb-ish about this subject.

jag64551's gear list:jag64551's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow