Started Jun 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HDClown
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
24-120 f/4 to replace 18-200VR ?
Jun 3, 2011

I recently upgraded to a D7000 from a D50. The 18-200 has lived on my D50 since I got it. I have been doing some pixel peeping to see what I can really do with a shot in regards to cropping with the D7000 (quite impressive). This has also shown me that the 18-200 isn't as sharp as I thought it was, so I'm in search of more.

The versatility of range of the 18-200 has been a big thing for me in catching as many moments as possible while taking pictures of my daughter in her 1-3 year age range because she would rarely hold a position for more than a second or two. Now that she is 4, and will actually hold if you ask, ME moving to get shots is a realistic option, so I'm looking for alternate glass.

I rarely EVER shot wide open. Usually at 24-30mm at minimum. So I find that the 18-70DX that I have will be too limiting, i Need something that goes longer. The primary options seem to be 18-105 and 24-120 f/4, with the 24-120 is making more sense to me, but it is a pricier lens, and reviews seem to be mixed. What I'm trying to ultimately determine is how much extra sharpness these lenses would be compared to the 18-200 in the areas that the ranges overlap.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow