Safari with a m4/3? why not

Started May 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
camillako
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
Re: Safari with a m4/3? why not
In reply to trailer, Jun 1, 2011

Trailer you already went on a safari so you probably know more than me about it, but let me stress again, depending on the type of safari, you might not need much reach at all (my longest shot was 42mm but most of the pics are 20mm) which leads me to remind that speed might be another issue. 1.7 on the pancake pretty much covered me, especially where the animals where still but it was anyhow a challenge after sunset/low light for animals like rhinos that just dont stop munching...

so imho it's a matter of balance of speed vs reach with the latter perhaps not needed depending on the specifics of the safari.

trailer wrote:

I'm going on safari later in the year and plan to take the E-PL2. At present I have the 14-42 plus the 40-150. I'm in two minds as to what to get for a longer zoom. The Panasonic 100-300 is an obvious choice but I'm a bit unsure as all/most of the shots will be handheld whether the 300mm is overkill. Something up to a 200mm may well suffice. The last safari I went on I had an E-500 with wide angle and a kit 40-150mm lens. Whilst it was OK 80% of the time I just wished for something a bit longer, (excuse the double entendre).

-- hide signature --

E-P2 +14-42 m4/3,lumix 20mm 1.7, E-500, 12-60 SWD, 8mm FE, Metz 48

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow