ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JohnNewman
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Best/sharpest "Vacation" lens for DX
May 31, 2011

Hi all

I'm currently shooting with a D90 and 10-24, 18-105 and 70-300 lenses. There ae times when I don't want to carry the whole lot around and am considering a 18-2?? superzoom. I'm aware of distortion problems etc but would really like something longer than the 18-105 to use when out hiking. For a kit lens, the 18-105 is pretty damn good and I'd hope to get something that would give me equivalent IQ (if possible).

As far as I can see, it's a choice between the Nikon 18-200 (better build quality?) and either the Tamron 18-270 (old or new versions) or Sigma 18-250.

Any advice from a real world perspective would be very much appreciated, especially the differences in IQ (if any) of the older and newer Tamrons (the older version is being sold at quite reasonable prices here in the UK, i.e around £299). I'll probably upgrade to a D7K or D400 in due course but would likely keep the D90 and use the lens on that as I appreciate that the higher pixel count would show up any shortcomings even more.

Thanks in advance

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Nikon D7100
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow