D80 x D7k IQ tests

Started May 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,121Gear list
Like?
D7k as update of D80
In reply to ZorSy, May 30, 2011

ZorSy wrote:

It would be rather pathetic if D7000 did not show superiority in resolution and tonal response compared to D80 - there are more than 4 years apart and technology has changed a lot in meantime.

What I'm seeing is really a very substantial update of D80 (can't say about D90). It's a better camera in all aspects, including specs, AF, MM, speed, VF, and then sensor, IQ w/o a doubt the biggest difference, and detail is the less important of them.

Unfortunately, some of us have other priorities in life than to upgrade camera, so we (I am) are stuck with D80. And I well know how it compares to D7K. But for money, it still doesn't grow on trees...

I followed Thom's idea of every other release for updates/upgrades. The D90 was already a good improvement in IQ compared to D80, but body was just same. Now it's not. Of course, depending on how frequently you use camera, it will last for a long time. Mine was already showing some wear and tear, some of the buttons needed pressing very hard to work. It actually needed a visit to a good shop.

I was thinking of waiting for the D400, since I really think that the D80/D90 body is a bit limited re speed and AF. But the D7k solved that and more (VF, real MLU, many other niceties, like user settings, etc).

As you say, it doesn't grow in trees, but IMO it's worth the price, very much.
--
Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow