Started May 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
camillako
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
Safari with a m4/3? why not
May 30, 2011

with my E-P2, the standard 14-42 for 'some' reach, pancake for night shots and the FE for the fancy shots.

pictures taken at Sabi Sabi private game reserve, located at Sabi Sands (next to Kruger), south africa, last week.

result? you let me know. I just loved traveling light (i was there on business) and although i would have ideally liked some extra reach at times, I'm not sure how that would have worked out due to limited light (safaris are from 6 to 8 am which i regularly missed and from 430 pm onwards). I worked my way around this by shooting RAW (but with hindsight i would have simplified my life by shooting jpegs at the maximum quality) and cropping afterwards.

number 1 issue which was quite minor was some lack of or erroneous focus lock come sunset. it happened rarely and since the beasts are 90pct of the time just relaxing, it's easy to set focus once and then switch to MF.

http://camillo.zenfolio.com/p890396816

As a hobbyist photographer who favors landscapes, I feel blessed to have had this opportunity.

I think for all of you this should be something on the 'to do' list for sure.

there are various types of safaris with very different budgets. from a photographers point of view the key element is PRIVATE RESERVE, because being a private reserve means you are allowed to quit the main roads and venture in the bush and it usually also means that the animals are used to seeing the landrovers coming close and don't feel threatened, enabling (as you see) to come right up to them which helps tremendously.

just check with your team what to expect in advance.

enjoy
--
E-P2 +14-42 m4/3,lumix 20mm 1.7, E-500, 12-60 SWD, 8mm FE, Metz 48

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow