Nikon D7000 Focus problem. The real issue part 2?

Started May 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bwigg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134
Like?
Nikon D7000 Focus problem. The real issue part 2?
May 30, 2011

I started a thread here about this issue:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=38452588

Now I am doing a follow up and with my conclusions.

I found some time to try a few more tests and I am still convinced the D7000 has some type of vibration problem from mirror slap or some other undermined mechanical part. I am not saying the D7000 has an inherent fault, but I am totally convinced it is more susceptible to vibration from some kind of mechanical anomaly. The problem is perfectly repeatable in all my tests.

I obtained a brand new D7000 and made several comparisons with all my lenses and found virtually no difference between the two cameras. My original D7000 had a serial number in the 3009xxx range and the new one was a 3125xxx.

I tired a few comparisons with my other cameras which are the Nikon D80, D5000, and D300 as well as my Canon 7D.

For my last set of tests I used all my cameras with Nikon 70-300mm F5.6 VR lens with VR enabled. The Canon was using the Canon 70-300mm F5.6 IS with IS enabled. All shots where done in normal JPG OOC with an ISO of 100, shutter speed of 1/250 handheld.

I am aware that some may say handheld shots are not valid and my shutter speed didn’t follow the rule of thumb of Min Shutter Speed (secs) = 1/Focal Length (mm) x1.5. Which in this case the shutter speed should have been around 1/450 sec.

But as you will see when looking at the attached examples from all my cameras, all except the D7000 produced a reasonably good image at 1/250 sec. I threw in the Canon 7D with its 18 mp so I think we can rule out the argument about the extra mega pixels of the D7000 vs. D80, D5000 and D300 as the root of the problem.

I am not bashing the D7000, I am merely trying to point out what I perceive as the cause of many users complaining about soft images. All the images show little to no issue handheld except the D7000 which is blurred, unless exposure delay mode is enabled. I tried exposure delay mode on the all the others except the 7D and saw no real improvement in image quality. Only the D7000 improved considerably.

The below images are 100% crops from the original.

The first pair is from the D7000. First photo is no exposure delay mode, second is with exposure delay enabled.

The D5000, D300 and D80 are the same as above with the first image shot with no exposure delay mode, second is with exposure delay enabled.

The Canon I didn’t bother with trying mirror lockup.

I would like to see some others try the same tests and compare them with my results.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow