D80 x D7k IQ tests

Started May 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mr Physics
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
Re: A real life example of DR, tone and color gradation
In reply to rhlpetrus, May 29, 2011

rhlpetrus wrote:

This is a crop of the Bottles. I matched carefully the whites in the doll, including color and luminosity. Now observe the bottom part of these, in particular the right part. D80 looses control of both color and tone gradation, D7k presents a superb rendition of the whisky tones.

Is not the D80 presenting a good rendition of the whiskey tones? The D80 looses control? Isn't that overstating the result, sir? I can barely see the better DR in the "aged 18 years" label and that is because I'm looking real hard for it. The differences in the whiskey tones may or may not be related to the superiority of the "light writing" hardware/firmware or may simply be due to a small, subtle difference in lighting (perhaps someone shifted the lightstand every so slightly when bumping into it?).

rhlpetrus (sorry I didn't pick up your name yet), you've done a good comparison here. I'm learning somewhat from your efforts. Thank you. But I really have to struggle to see the subtle performance differences between these two machines. It is hard to present a good test to highlight the the differences (to hold all of the necessary variable constant) and you've done a good job at it. But the fact that we have to really struggle hard to find the IQ difference says a lot to me.
Kindest regards,
Tony

Mr Physics's gear list:Mr Physics's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow