Lens choices for 6 months of travelling

Started May 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
Willjacks
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
Re: Lens choices for 6 months of travelling
In reply to nerdag, May 29, 2011

There's been some great advice given, but I wonder if many of the posters have actually experience of a long trip? I've done a few 2 month trips and found that less is better. 6 months is a long time and that 5kgs WILL become a burden especially if you've got a heavy backpack to lug around. Also what type of accommodation will you be using? Would you trust the hotel/guesthouse/dorm with your stuff or would you just lug everything around with you?

I took a full kit along to Burma the one time and got sick of it after 1 week. The heat and humidity adds to the grief! I think I used my 80-200 f2.8 like 3 times, and never at 2.8. If it were me I would just take a D7000, the Tokina 11-18mm and a 50mm f1.8 and a smaller digi-cam. I'm going to China in the summer and will just take a 24mm and a 50mm. I don't really care too much about wide-angles, but that's just me. Hell, I might just get a Panny LX5 and use that. I like to enjoy the experience and still take good photos. There's a big compromise involved but the though of lugging around 4kgs again gives me the shakes!

I guess what you could try doing is take a weekend trip away and see what combination you like. You've got, what? 6 months? to find a suitable balance.

Enjoy the trip! (and don't mull on photography too much!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow