A closer look at the SD1 samples - (Kendall-Gelner scene)

Started May 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ilsiu
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
Re: Fine then, interpatraxtolation
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, May 28, 2011

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Come on, either you have data or you do not. "A bit more confidence" doesn't matter to a definition. Simply put, each pixel is borrowing other color channels from physically distinct spaces. They may be similar, or wildly different values (like on the edge of a color transition or a single pixel wide line going through an image). The fact that you could construct an imaginary grid that would look like a bunch of red/green/blue squares and, when perfectly aligned, would produce an entirely black image on a bayer sensor tells you all you need to know about it making up things or not. There is no selection of such color patterns that could "fool" a Foveon sensor like that.

The farthest I am willing to go down the road of claiming making up data is the same as not making up data, is to label the whole thing "interpatraxtolation". You can use it if you like, but I think I'll stick with extrapolation since it really is making up data.

Hold on - you seem to be frustrated by something. I'm not disputing that data is being "made up." But interpolation and extrapolation have specific, precise definitions. Making up data in a certain set of circumstances is called interpolation. Making up data in a different set of circumstances is called extrapolation.

My point is that way Bayer sensors make up data fits the definition of interpolation. I don't know why you object to that, but it's simply a method of data fitting.

Made up data that is interpolated has a better chance of being accurate than made up data that is extrapolated; that's not the same as saying it is accurate.

If it's not obvious, I'll also state that real data is always preferable to made up data of any kind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow