Dynamic Range: D5100/D7000

Started May 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,313
Like?
Re: In two words: a lot! With examples.
In reply to rhlpetrus, May 27, 2011

rhlpetrus wrote:

I don't think you need RAW histograms, jpegs is enough and a few tests indicate that when no channel blows by more than 1/2 stop you are in safe territory, that's my experience so far, but I am even more conservative, only 1/3 stop and in very difficult situations. Otherwise I prefer to see no channel clipped in the in-camera histograms (blinkies are not good enough in-camera, since it uses only the mixed channles values, won't indicate a single channel clipped).

I'm not saying I can't live without them, I'm just saying there is room for improvement With such raw histogram I'd instantly know I've blown 1/2 stop but recoverably. The way it is I just know I've blown and I must take one more shot with a stop more underexposure to see how much I've blown. And the way NX is made, I agree that pushing exposure to the edge of the highlights headroom is the best idea, and mostly this is really not required. But this is important if you want to do harsh light without doing multiple exposures, which the new sensors are inviting us to play with

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow