ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rkglover
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Bad News - Good News - A700 Stolen
May 26, 2011

The Bad News:

I was surprised to discover this morning that someone had been in my car last night. I always lock my car and remove valuables, but last night in a rush I left my camera bag in my trunk and did not lock my car. Of course the ONE night I do this a thief gets in it and steals my A700 with CZ16-80 attached. That's the bad news.

The Good News:

1. Amazingly, the thief left the Think Tank camera bag and one lens in it - a Sony 100 2.8 macro.

2. Two days ago I had just switched my CZ 24-70 for the 16-80 and also had removed my Tokina 11-16 from my bag. The CZ was insured, but the Tokina was not (it is now).

3. The stolen items are listed on my homeowner's policy, so I will get the insured value back with no deductible. The A700 was listed on my policy for $950 - the amount I paid for it new, and the CZ 16-80 was listed for $699.

Mixture of Both:

I am leaving for Israel/Greece in a few weeks and had planned to take the 16-80 with me for use on my A55. I was also thinking about taking the A700. I'm now looking at the A580 and thinking about replacing the 16-80, but with the pending release of the A77 and the new 16-50, I'm very tempted to just wait on replacing either item. My daughter has my old A350 and the Tamron 17-50, and I may ask to borrow the Tamron for the trip.

Finally, even though insurance will repay me for the loss, it was very upsetting to find that someone had been through all the stuff in my car. Also, I liked the A700 and it can't be replaced, except with a used one, and I'm not really tempted by that thought. I will be sure my car is locked and my camera bag is not in the car from now on.

rkglover's gear list:rkglover's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Leica M9 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +12 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow