A closer look at the SD1 samples - (Kendall-Gelner scene)

Started May 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
A closer look at the SD1 samples - (Kendall-Gelner scene)
May 26, 2011

So I got bored of complaining about the model sample and decided to take a look at some other images. And the landscape photo Kendall-Gelner really stood-out as a candidate with plenty of detail throughout the scene.

And so I wrung-it through the usual process to see what could be squeezed-out of it. Now baring in mind that I have no experience whatsoever with foveon files, I'm sure this isn't a best case scenario. However I will say that I am very impressed with the overall detail that I was able to extract from this particular image.

I also got the opportunity to try a bit of upsampling, and found no issues getting this file up to 45mp. However, I couldn't really draw any hard conclusions without anything to compare them with, and so I'll just leave this as a loose comment.

Anyways, without further delay, here's the image and crops to go with it.

I was going to post a full size sample, but it weighed-in at 7.5mb with high compression, and so it just wasn't worth loading it into the thread. But... if anyone cares to see it, I can post the link afterward.

Scene:t

Crop 1:

Crop 2:

Crop 3:

Crop 4:

Notable mention:

In this scene, I found very high(accurate) minimum radius detail(see wires extending from buildings etc). I also found the rocks to look accurate and lifelike.

So in closing I would posit whether or not this is a 45mp equivalent. And I honestly can't answer that(I don't own anything to compare it with). However, I can say that this image appears to be well above your average 15mp file.

Cheers

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow