Started May 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
malathan
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
7D movie - compression
May 26, 2011

Question regarding working with video files from the 7D...

Files are in .mov format and h.264 (I think). I am surprised at the size of the files. An 71 second clip takes over 400 mb. I have spend several days looking for software to compress or adjust this file with minimal luck.

Requirements are to keep format compatible with lightroom, minimal loss of quality (visually), reduced file size, and as universal a format as possible.

I have nero 8 and tried Vision (included video editng software). It allows me to emport to mp4 avc, mp2, mp1 and several other flavors. I have tried various adjustments. Results were file sizes between 80mb to 170mb, but with issues in lightroom 3 (not fully recognizing the video file), playback smoothness, jumping/navigating within clip (ie, jumping to 40 second mark, then back to 30 second), and questionable quality (though most looked identical to original).

I have also tried handbrake, Super encoder, and several others, but no luck.

Curious what others do with their videos? Leave in original file format, as big as it is, or attempt to edit and recompress? If so, with what software and what settings?

-- hide signature --

Clayton

(I have my toys and empty wallet, but I am happy)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow