eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,717
Like?
Re: fine John but then the OP is not consistent with himself
In reply to Cytokine, May 25, 2011

Cytokine wrote:

antoineb wrote:

That the OP could have decided for constant 4800k whatever happens (and apparently refuse to ever do a WB preset again, when it is so easy to do on Nikons), and THEN complains he's not getting the colours he'd like - this strikes me as logically INconsistent.

Yes it does seem like he is saying, I will only use this particular crayon in the box, but the box of crayons is not giving me what I want.

I think he's also claiming that 4800K on his D70 gave him better results than 4800K on his D7K, right out of the box. As I've pointed out elsewhere in this thread, though, I suspect he's not controlling for other color shifting contributors, like tone curves, amount of sharpness, etc. (i.e., the Picture Control). I bet if he takes identical compositions under identical lighting out each of these '7' cameras into ViewNX2, applies the same WB and Picture Control, then converts to JPG, the results won't be appreciably (or deleteriously) different. Back when I compared D80 and D90 color rendition, I did notice differences (D90 seem yellower), but the question in the end is whether this amounts to a big enough difference to make, well, a difference.

In defense of the OP, though, I will say that this is not a matter that should be dismissed. Allowing ourselves the latitude to re-interpret color (and WB) for artistic purposes, it is still very disconcerting when we get different results from different cameras from a single shoot even if we apply the same interpretation.

To the OP: don't forget about the effect of lenses. If you are comparing across cameras and are not using the same lens on both, look out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seeking the heart and spirit in each image

Gallery and blog: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22061657@N03

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
;-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow