Started May 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alashi
Contributing MemberPosts: 544Gear list
Like?
FLASH! X100 genre erodes DSLR dominance
May 25, 2011

No, not really a new report, but just think about it. How many are finally giving up the expensive DSLR habit--expensive lenses, weight of the whole enchilada, obtrusiveness of the monster when trying to be inconspicuous--because of the waves created by the X100?

If you haven't seen this thread, you might find that others have decided to forgo them, as have I.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=38510323

Below is my story. Anyone else jettison the DSLR finally? Or plan to?

Alashi

re: Anybody "done with DSLRs"?
Nice topic.

I've been shooting since about 1958. I've owned just about anything you could imagine, and had fun with them all. My favorite RF was the Konica Auto S3. My favorite SLR was the Minolta XD-11 because of it's size and because it automated the 1st aperture & shutter priority combo in an SLR. Did I mention it was small? Compact, extremely well built, and fun to shoot. I had many other SLR's during that period, and an RB-67 and a few TLR's and a Koni Omega ......

Then I got the Canon EOS-3. I was in love again with a camera. For what it did, the size was OK and it handled beautifully. Then came the digital onslaught. I started with P&S and decided to go digital SLR with the EOS 20D. Getting closer I thought. Then came the EOS 1Ds. Beautiful results and quality. But, it was so heavy! Oh well, then I got the EOS 1Ds2. Faster, more responsive, higher image quality....but still, so heavy! And, I had also gotten into L-series lenses, like the 35-350 and others of similar size and weight. It was starting to not be fun. And it was way to expensive for what I got out of it. And it frightened little kids away!!! And the cost? Call me stupid, but I did it and I regret it.

So, I started carrying my P&S's again, and kept upgrading, trying to find that magic image quality I could live with. Canon G-series, 400's, 800's, 900's, 950's and S90/95. Closer.

Then I fell for the 7D. No extended grip--just an extra battery in my pocket, and mated it to a Tamron 18-270 PZD zoom (also had their earlier version). Heavenly, and not too bad to carry. No extra lenses to load me down. No dust or fatigue from changing lenses constantly. No missed shots. Image quality was more than adequate. This is a fun combo and still is. Then came the Fuji X100 . Smaller, lighter, reminiscent of my old Konica RF. Fun to shoot again, I walk for zoom like the old days. Doesn't intimidate little kids.

The future? No more DSLR's for me. I simply don't want the size, all the lenses, weight or outrageous cost. The X100-like upstarts, or even Fuji, will make this genre better and better, and that will be my upgrade path from now on. It's been a fun ride, but finally, I'm back to having fun again. And did I mention the OVF?!

Alashi

Alashi's gear list:Alashi's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot SD900 Canon PowerShot G10 +29 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow