Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: thansk for finally posting data
In reply to antoineb, May 25, 2011

antoineb wrote:

these shots are very difficult to judge for quality of skin tones

why?

because a "good skin tone" doesn't exist. By definition, it's "good" if it looks like the model did look in the flesh.

If you regard photography as an art form then the photographer is creating an image that captures the essence of the subject within the parameters of his equipment and experience.

Some people seem to make a confusion here, apparently thinking that "good" means "pleases the eye" even if the model's skin is "too red", or "too white", or really DID look orange under some bad artificial light.

I think the photographers job is to negate the effects of bad lighting or use lighting in a creative way. We see hundreds of faces and our brains store that information and so when we see something "good" it accords with previous experience.

When I look at the samples you've posted, I find the skin tone to be quite pleasing (as I can judge having never met the baby in person)

Again from experience a young child's skin has a transparent quality and we should see blue from underlying veins, some small areas of red (red cheeks) sometimes areas of tan (not red) and the camera should be capable of differentiating all of these subtle colours, that can so easily be lost by the sensor or in post processing.

could it be that you're being over-obsessive about this?

I think the OP probably is, but that is sometimes the nature of creativity

what about pre-set WB, have you tried it? You must have.

Because our rooms usually have mixed light sources the colour temperature can change depending which light source you are facing. The best portraits I have seen and taken, have been in diffused sunlight though windows and doors or very cloudy days (Natures soft-box).

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
;-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow