The latest on D7000 skin tones?

Started May 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,310Gear list
Like?
Some good, some bad, mostly user error
In reply to Swedish Hambern, May 25, 2011

You still haven't said which Picture Style you're using, with which settings?

nb 1 is poor but you're in contra light with neon tubes and you haven't bothered with WB preset which is user error (or else shoot RAW and adjust later)

nb 2, girl in the sun, is quite good for this careless composition with the sun just outside the frame which makes you miss easy exposure, AND miss a nice contra-light shot. And you haven't bothered working on DOF.

nb 3 is fine, again considering this careless composition, subject too close, and maybe you even used some flash or I don't know.

nb 4 has what look like very real skin tones (though I find the model ugly but that's just me)

nb 5 (young man sitting in contra light) is fine despite fairly obvious user error, not managing to properly handle contra light. Try spot metering on the face next time, and/or add fill-in flash.

nb 6 I enjoyed the composition and the skin tone looks right to me (but I don't know the person) despite difficult lighting from the side

BOTTOM-LINE: I do NOT see any major problem. I see issues with (1) your composition, (2) your use of DOF (possibly limited by a slow lens), (3) your lighting (and your apparently refusing to acknowledge it or make any efforts), (4) your taste for portraits at very close range (which distort faces which you seem to like and why not, but make the lighting much more complex), (5) your apparent dislike for Spot metering, and (6) your apparent refusal to do a WB preset when the light is bad.

NO CAMERA will fix these personal issues for you: YOU have to learn. If the D7k is too much camera for you (as it seems based on this gallery) and you can still return it, get yourself a d3100 and be happy.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
;-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow