Stuck in 2 minds - just wanted to get my thoughts out...

Started May 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,944Gear list
Like?
Re: Stuck in 2 minds - just wanted to get my thoughts out...
In reply to Herts_JoaTMoN, May 25, 2011

If you plan to shoot any video, you will fall in love with the SEL18200, the lens is absolutely wonderful for video.

If you like action shots of birds and animals, you may actually very much prefer the a77 or the a55 (more compact). You will also have a choice of longer range (IBIS) stabilized autofocus lens options.

If you only shoot occasionally, the NEX will do fine, and a cheap, non e-mount telelens will shine on an adapter. It is a valid alternative, plus you can wait for the 55-200 and see what it offers.

You will likely carry the NEX to more places that you will take your a55/a77. Size, and weight, does matter.

Also, with the a-mount to e-mount adapter LCAEA1, you can mount your alpha glass on either the aXX or the NEX, something else to consider.

Unless you shoot daily, have a professional need or have a serious hobby, I'd recommend to go with a one camera solution first. You may in fact like a high end P&S as an alternative, just because it fits in your pocket, all the time.

Since you already have the NEX, I'd suggest to enjoy the lenses that you have, and decide whether or not you miss anything for real. If birding is of interest, why not look at some of the 30x hybrid cameras - they work very well - and cost much less than the superzoom?

Also, a wish list is fun - you may change it as time progresses. If you spend it all up front you better like what you got - for every year you will have new offerings and decisions to make then.

Stick to the NEX, enjoy the little camera, and plan a budget over time.

Herts_JoaTMoN wrote:

Been looking forward to the new NEX lenses for a while now, but having recently come back from holiday, I can see the benefit of having a superzoom. But at £700 it is an expensive lens and at the 200 end id like to be shooting some more action shots and animals/ birds etc. Not sure if the NEX is up to the job as I fear it wont be able to keep up.

This got me thinking that maybe I should get a second camera now that im getting more serious about my photography. With the a77 on the horizon, I could get that (not seen estimated prices yet, £700 body only??). I dont see the a55 as enough of an improvement over the NEX to warrent investment.
a superzoom (perhaps the Tamron 18-200 or 18-270 (£170 / £500)
Sony 30 2.8 MACRO or SONY 28 2.8 (£160 / £200)
Sony 50 1.4 (£310)

Id then have a good ranges of lenses, potentially 3 for £640 if I chose the cheaper options above and a Body that is more capable in some situations than my NEX.

Id keep the NEX as my daily carry around camera with the 18-55. Also use it for landscape work and out on my bike with the 16 and sometimes with the 12mm adaptor. And use the a77 for days when i want to do some more serious shooting.

Or, I will stick with the NEX and buy lenses in similar ranges to the ones above once they are available. I have a feeling they will all be quite pricey though due to the silent motors and form factor etc.

Decisions decisions...

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow