Started May 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
Zane Paxton
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,937Gear list
Like?
Re: Zane-question
In reply to 2005magnum, May 24, 2011

2005magnum wrote:

Hi Zane

I truly enjoyed the images you posted in this thread.

I was interested in the lenses you used to capture these images?

thanks

I have a bunch of Nikkors that I used with my D2x, but for the vacation I chose the 16-85mm VR. It has a great range so was the only lens I took on my trip to travel light and I didn't feel the need for anything else. With the VR and good technique, I was able to reliably shoot down to about 1/13th handheld (WooHoo!).

It's a very good lens. The VR is very useful if you don't want to drag a tripod around while traveling. It's sharp but can have some soft corners if not stopped down. The 24-70mm f/2.8 is sharper, but costs almost 3x as much for the diminishing returns and doesn't have VR. The 16-85mm is not a bright f/2.8 but compensates with the VR. The 16-85mm VR's CA is much better than my older 17-35mm AFS by a long shot, probably due to the newer high-tech glass. The overall image quality (IQ) of my D7000 + 16-85mm VR is definitely better than my D2x with the 17-35mm AFS. The 16-85mm VR is not a lens to use if you want great Bokeh, at f/3.5-f/5.6 it just doesn't get wide enough.

For my landscape work, I use a tripod about 99% of the time.

-- hide signature --

Zane
http://www.pbase.com/devonshire
Nikon D7000 & D2x
NAPP Member

'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments it takes our breath away.” ~ Anonymous

Zane Paxton's gear list:Zane Paxton's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow