The latest on D7000 skin tones?

Started May 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,876Gear list
Have you tried the Picture Controls and their adjustments?
In reply to Swedish Hambern, May 24, 2011

have you tried playing with the following?

• I find the "vivid" is over-everthing and doesn't deliver good skin tones

• I find the "standard" gives me rather pleasing results

• i find the "portrait" also gives me pleasing results - though it includes tweaks for more "flattering" results (for non-child skins ie with wrinkles blemishes etc) which result in fairly low detail for my taste. For this reason I tend to stick with the "standard" picture style, for fear that if I go to "portrait" and forget to get out, then I'll lose some detail on non-portrait shots (of course I've set the U2 for portraits but then one shouldn't forget to turn the wheel

• if none of this works, WB preset is easy and quick enough

• if still none of this works, then shoot RAW I guess. But really you shouldn't have to.

In easy light (ie daylight) I find i get great skin tones from my d7k. Under artificial light it's more challenging - but so is it with every camera.

Natural light:
perfect skin tone on portrait of little girl outdoors

perfect skin tones on portrait of little girls indoors in strong contra light

nice skin tones on portrait of young boy in strong contra light

Artificial light

decent skin tone on portrait of mature lady under BAD bad light (very low level, mix of ageing light bulbs, some weak neon tubes)

decent skin tones on self-portrait in difficult / poor light from above

too orange skin tones on portrait of mature man in HORRIBLY BAD light (requiring 1/20th at f5.6 and ISO 5000). Could have done a WB preset easily but the light really WAS that warm

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow