The latest on D7000 skin tones?

Started May 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: The latest on D7000 skin tones?
In reply to Swedish Hambern, May 24, 2011

Swedish Hambern wrote:

With the focus issue out of the way I still have one thing that keeps bugging me: The D7000 skin tones. It just looks flat, orangey, unnatural and simply bad. It's worst at the Standard setting, but the tendency is there at every setting (best is neutral). At least compared to my old D70 that always produced completely credible skin tones in every lighting situation.

Your D70 is at the top of the metamerism index and the D7000 is second from the bottom in these DXO tests. At best we can say that CCD colours are easier to manipulate than CMOS colours The CMOS configuration relies on more complex noise reduction software and apart from the D2x cant be tweaked in analogue prior to digital conversion. But if you need all that Hi ISO ability CMOS is the answer and the colours can be just as good but require more attention to camera set up and is less forgiving of bad practice.

Indoor lighting uses so many different lamp types, giving different colour outputs and it is sometimes difficult to get a good white balance, and this is compounded by the CMOS set up. So we should shoot with flash where possible and use RAW.

The only difference I see in CCD apart from being easier to use, is better tonal gradation. IF I had pots of money I would use CCD in Daylight and studio shots and CMOS at night but I would use CCD and good glass before resorting to CMOS.

Just my biased 2 cents.

John

DXOMark Scores for Sensitivity metamerism index (higher = better ability to reproduce accurate colour consistently.

Standard ISO 17321. CIE/D50 (Matching Daylight Source)
D300/D200/D70 = 84
D2Xs D700/D5000 = 83
D3000 = 80
D80/D3x = 79
D7000/D5100 = 78
D3/D300s = 77

ISO 17321-1:2006 specifies colour stimuli, metrology, and test procedures for the colour characterization of a digital still camera (DSC) to be used for photography and graphic technology. Two methods are provided, one using narrow spectral band illumination and the other using a spectrally and colorimetrically calibrated target. Except for a specific set of permitted data operations, these DSC data are raw. International Standards Organisation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
;-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow