Started May 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Digital Coast Image
Contributing MemberPosts: 783
Like?
Sigma's final chapter
May 24, 2011

.. for me personally unless they "honor" their word.

I sold gear and bought SA mount lenses in advance of the SD1. Not because of wild speculation, but because top Sigma folks gave a VERY clear price indication for where the SD1 would release.

I budgeted using their numbers. I've waited too long to upgrade my resolution. If sigma doesn't reverse course with this pricing I'll likely just retool with Nikon or Canon.

I have one SD9 and three SD14 bodies. Yes, I really need three SD14 bodies. Why?

Its humid in Florida and one body will get so hot and constantly lock up that I have to pull a second body from the bag and put the lens that was on body 1 on body 2. Then further into shooting body 2 will lock up. And usually body 1 is still warm so I use body three. Taking the lens from body 2 and putting it on body 3. Then when body three locks up constantly I go back to body 1.

I'm assuming the SD1 can handle humidity and has been properly tested in such climates. But I was willing, ready and able to buy two SD1 bodies at "7D pricing".

I'm going to wait until friday. If this nightmare hasn't ended by then I'll be selling my SD9 and two SD14 bodies and just keep one SD14 as a walk around camera and move on to Nikon / Canon for my gear upgrade cycle.

I waited a long time for Sigma to finally produce a winning DSLR. I didn't plan on them not honoring their initial pricing. Hence why I was so taken back (as were others).

This is an early stage lesson in corporate mis-management that will be taught in classes at princeton and other business schools "what not to do". Either that or this is the most brilliant buzz building marketing ploy of the 21st century that Sigma planned from the get go to get everyone's attention before reverting back to honoring their initial pricing of the SD1.

-- hide signature --

Michael James - http://www.digitalcoastimage.com - Destin, FL U.S.A.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow