Started May 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bfrankindy
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
D70 Upgrade, D5100 or D90 or D7000 or ?
May 23, 2011

I've used a D70 with the lens it came with (AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm, 1:3.5-4.5G ED) for years. Always been impressed by its quality compared to the point and shoots I was using. Recently decided I want to upgrade as I have some vacations planned and my kids are doing more indoor/outdoor sports. Decided to buy a zoom lens for this and then fell into a state of confusion. Talk of low f-stops for indoor sports necessitating fast shutter speeds and camera body motor + - lens motor. Anyway, a family member gave me a bunch of old equipment and I've been studying to try to use it correctly and become a better photographer. My sole objective is to take better family pictures (portraits, sports, and vacation).

I inherited:
D1x body
AF Nikkor 18-35mm 1:3.5-4.5 D
AF Nikkor 24-120mm 1:3.5-5.6 D
AF-S Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8D
SB80-DX flash

After much reading online it appears that I could see significant benefit from using a newer body. The three listed in title of my post are all recommended for me depending on what I read. As stated, several places talk about auto focus motors and such for certain lenses and bodies.

1. Should I upgrade?

2. If so, which camera should I choose? People love the D7000 but not sure I want to spend that kind of money right now.

3. Any of the equipment mentioned above worth saving or selling or throwing away? Seems like just need the zoom and my original lens for 99% of what I'd be doing.

Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow