vote the price

Started May 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
coraxphoto
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: vote the price
In reply to KAF18500, May 23, 2011

Honestly, I don't know what was legit info or just consumer word of mouth, but for months I have been reading that the price was guessed to be around $2,000 based on hints from Sigma. I was planning on buying one after Christmas if the price was going to be $2,000. I think what they have done is absurd. If they knew the price was going to be even $5,000, they should have had some Sigma insiders hint that the $2,000 figure circulating through the grapevine was off base because of blah blah blah.

This camera will have to be earth shattering to woo non-Sigma pro shooters. I honestly want to know how many they sell globally for this crazy price. Now, had they offered the SD1 with an optional Nikon or Canon mount (the way Fujifilm did a Nikon mount w/ their DSLRs) in addition to the Sigma mount, then I could see some non-Sigma people CONSIDERING this camera. I just don't see who their audience is realistically going to end up being for this thing at that price.

Personally, I have been using my SD14 with mixed affection for a few years. It has always been buggy with autofocus and that annoying buffer overload/lockup. I was saving to make the jump to the SD1, but with the huge gap in the hinted market slot and the actual price of this thing, I feel a bit insulted. Pentax's K5 has been giving me thoughts of leaving Sigma, and I'm seriously considering that now. I can't afford the SD1's crazy price, I don't trust the SD15 to be different enough from the quirkiness of my SD14, and it may be time to say goodbye now. Probably not the consumer reaction the SD1 was supposed to generate, though I may be completely alone in that mindset...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow