Started May 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drwho9437
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?
Dynamic Range: D5100/D7000
May 21, 2011

DxO results and some DPReview remarks suggest higher dynamic range for the sensor in the K5/D5100/D7000 + Some Sonys.

To exploit DR I typically shoot RAW and expose for just clipping a tiny tiny bit of the picture which I can pull back (different camera to camera). Essentially as bright as possible without saturation.

For those of you who use similar techniques I am curious how much of an improvment you feel you get with a D5100 or D7000 compared with your old DSLR.

(Just a side note: If you look at the DxO results it looks like the Sony sensor in these cameras simply back extends the 'linear' fall off region for DR that is true at high ISO. Presumably this is a region limited by the noise floor of the readout. So perhaps the photosites have lower readout noise and a larger storage capacitance.)

PS: I would love to have a landscape RAW file for either with a bright Sky and some very dark under trees or canyon or something.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbryce/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow