Epson 7800 with ink and stand for $800 or Epson R3000??????

Started May 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mPanebianco
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Epson 7800 with ink and stand for $800 or Epson R3000??????
May 21, 2011

I am in a position now where I am considering a used Epson 7800. This unit was in a Wolf Camera. From what I understand it has not seen much use. This was told to me by the original owner/manager of the unit. When that particular store closed, they bought it and now its been sitting, covered, in a garage for sometime. A year more or less.

It currently has some ink in it as well as a complete set of unopened 220ml ink. It also has the stand, software, and I believe ColorBurst software.

As of yet the asking price is around $800.

With that being said, I have also considered the Epson R3000. I know that it is a smaller printer none professional printer and only prints 13".

I also was looking at the Epson 3880. However I missed the rebates and its out of my up front price range right now. However I noticed there is a refurbished one on Epson's website for $999.

My main concern is that the 7800 has been sitting for a while. I know I should run a test print, clean the heads, etc. before even considering to buy. And see how it does.

I know the R3000 has Vivid colors added. How much better of a color gamut difference will I see between the two. I understand I might see improvements in the reds. Is it that much more vivid??

I'd like to have a printer that I can use for personal use, art/photo shows and festivals. Something I can be proud of on the walls and selling.

So I guess the question is this. If the 7800 turns out to be in good working order and prints well without clogged heads, would it be a better buy over the R3000 for the same price? 4880 even?

Another option I have also thought about was getting the R3000 and then using WHCC for anything that requires larger print outs.

I've got a mixed bag of photographs from digital to Velvia/Kodachrome that I would like to print.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thank You.

mPanebianco's gear list:mPanebianco's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus Tough TG-2 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow