D5100 af points?

Started May 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jared Huntr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Did not realize such a downgrade from D5000
In reply to dave1812, May 21, 2011

I was never debating about the size and type of viewfinder so I don't know where you got that from. I was ONLY discussing the AF points in the viewfinder.

You never acknowledged whether you've had to deal with critical focusing with fast lenses in the f1.4-f2.0 range so I can only assume that the type of photography you do doesn't involve knowing very precisely where the actual AF sensors are positioned relative to the AF indicators in the viewfinder.

dave1812 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I already mentioned that I would PREFER that the 5100 (which I now have received from Amazon--hurray!) have a large VF, but I knew when I purchased it that being a cheaper, smallish form factor DSLR, it has a pentamirror. My argument never was that I wouldn't LIKE a pentaprism quality VF. Complaining about an apple pie because it contains apples seems silly and that what this whole thing is about--the 5100 is a lower-end, SMALL Nikon DSLR and as such, it has a pentamirror. If that isn't suitable, get one of their pentaprism models.

Jared Huntr wrote:

dave1812 wrote:

A competent photographer shouldn't need grid lines, and for super-critical images, one can adjust images during PP if the horizon isn't 100% level.

A competent photographer shouldn't rely on post processing to get it right. you can't have it both ways. But you are really missing the point. The D5100 is only the second generation of its model and Nikon is already stripping it down of features. It is never a good sign when useful features are removed for obvious cost-cutting measures.

Can any of the young photographers out there today manage without all the bells and whistles of modern cameras? I can take wonderful images with a camera that has no autofocus, grid lines, etc. All I need for "tech" is a decent light meter. Sure, I like autofocus and other improvements added to modern cameras, but I don't NEED every feature on my Nikon in order to take good images. I don't use auto mode, or multiple focus points (except in rare circumstances). As a serious amateur, I prefer that the camera do MY bidding, rather than it automating all parameters of image making.

I don't think you get it. We are not debating the merits of manual focus over auto. Today's consumer camera's with smaller viewfinders do not allow you to accurately manual focus by eye, especially when shooting with extremely thin depth of field. They do not come with focus-aids like split-prism viewfinders on older film SLRs. Instead we have to rely on the focus confirmation dot in the viewfinder. The problem is that this dot is lit based on the AF sensors. The position of these sensors is roughly located by the AF points in the viewfinder. If these points are off alignment, then you have no hope of having your camera do your bidding. It's like trying to shift into the correct gear with a bad gearbox where the shifter is as sloppy as a wet noodle.

I have no issues using the various focus points on the 3100, so there will be no issues for me on the 5100. Not sure why you have problems in that area.

Like I said, unless you frequently shoot using apertures in the f1.4 - f2.0, you won't appreciate the importance of having accurately placed AF points in the viewfinder

-- hide signature --

Dave
D3100

Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow