Started May 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sphen
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Help choose my first lens please.
May 21, 2011

So after much debating I've decided to pick up the D60 as my first DSLR but I'm torn on the lens to go with. I'm pretty much using it to take pictures of the kidos doing their thing, outside and inside, everything from outdoor/indoor sports to b-day parties, x-mas, etc... I don't do nature shots and although I'd like the option I'm not really into the artsy thing. More than anything I want a long lasting setup that I can use for the family.

For now I can't really afford much because of the initial 60D cost but I'd be willing to pick up an additional lens in a year or two. Please keep in mind I'm new to DSLR and would have the learning curve to go through as well.

I've been looking at the kit options and althoug the reviews recommend the 15-85 for better quality pics I'm a bit concerned as I'd be taking a lot of indoor shots where the lighting wouldn't be that great. Is that going to be an issue for all three kit lenses (18-200, 18-135 and 15-85)? To compensate I was thinking of picking up the 18-200 as a general all purpose lense and then the 50mm f1/8 of f1/4 for the indoor stuff.

The other option I was thinking of was just the body and pick up a nicer lense, either the 17-55 f/2.8 used (can't afford it new) or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. My only concern is that the 17-55 maxes out my budget and it would be a while before I buy anything else and although I don't know if I'd "need" the extra range the 18-200 would give me it would be nice to have that as an option. If I went with the Tamron I'd have some $$$ left over for another lens in a while, maybe save up for the big zoom then.

As you can probably tell, my big concern with the kit lenses is that I'll be doing a lot of indoor shooting where the lighting isn't ideal and a lot of outdoor action shooting of the kids playing their sports. Is this a legit concern or am I being overly paranoid? If so, going to the 2.8 options makes more sense then correct? I'd just have to decide between the new Tamron and a used Canon.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow