Testing cameras with kit lens would be a good idea !

Started May 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
J Rozen
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Testing cameras with kit lens would be a good idea !
May 21, 2011

After reading your enthousiastic review of the Lumix DMC-GH1, I bought one with the 14-140 mm zoom, and felt very disappointed by the image quality, much poorer than what I get with my old Olympus E-510 in term of definition.

The fact that your photographic tests are made with a 50 mm lens gives a wrong idea of what the camera is able to deliver in real life with a kit lens. This seems to me a major problem in your otherwise remarkable camera reviews : comparisons are always made with idealistic non-zoom lenses, that almost no one will ever use in day-to-day use. What we get from the way of testing are the theoretical capabilities of the body alone rather than considering the whole package 99% people will buy : a body PLUS a lens. You may have the best camera body on earth, with a soft lens you'll get nothing but soft pictures ! I think you should take this in consideration, and spend more time to give a comprehensive idea of what image quality an average customer is supposed to get with the regular kit lens. (feel free to correct my English if necessary !)

Regards, Jean (Paris, France)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow