unscientific comparison... but i'm happy anyway.

Started May 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
also el
Regular MemberPosts: 312
Like?
unscientific comparison... but i'm happy anyway.
May 21, 2011

number two son got married a few weeks ago. they wanted me to photograph and i told them i didn't want to spend all my time looking through a camera at their wedding (so two others were enlisted to photograph as well). using e620 which was fantastic for outdoor wedding but as the reception moved indoors and then evening approached it did become more of a 'fiddle' to work with for candid shots. i decided then to look for a good manual focus lens. nice little package from b&h waiting for me at the door when i got home today. (50mm 1.4 om) put it right on and went out back to play. what a pleasure. suddenly my camera 'feels' more like i thought it should have (this lens is smaller but fair amount heavier than kit lens). i love it. in no time i'm comfortable looking through the viewfinder and making my adjustments for focus and aperture right on the barrel. at this point i almost don't even care how well the lens performs.... just happy with the thought if a shot is screwed up, it is my fault and can't blame it on the equipment.

so i'll be giving this a good workout to find its strengths in the next weeks, and i don't think i'll be disappointed.

the following is detail from a comparison (unscientific i know... should have used tripod and similar settings). but the result for me was that i was able to dial in a good shot within two or three tries with the 50mm and took almost three times as many to get a comparable shot with my kit lens. these were taken from maybe two feet away. originals are in my gallery if you care to look.

if you've used this lens on e camera, let me know how you like it.
thanks, el

this one with the 50mm

this one with short kit lens

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow