Started May 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rtrm01
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
My First DSLR
May 20, 2011

First, this is the most comprehensive source of information there is about this, and I want to say thank you for everyone's contributions to this forum. The bits and pieces have helped me navigate toward my first purchase very well. Now I have a few final questions that I had to sign up for, to ask.

Second, if this has been answered already, my apologies, please post the link and i will follow it.

Finally, I have looked at everything. I have had numerous point and shoot cameras, Canon Powershot a650, a Kodak z700 series, and finally my precious Sony Cybershot dsc-wx1b (their best low light camera ... but alas it has slid off the top of my suv and is forever gone) which brings me to DSLR. I have narrowed down my choices to a Nikon D3100. After reading the difference between ccd and cmos I have come to the conclusion that the Nikon D3000 is a better choice. I don't need live view, video camera ... and everything I may want later is purchasable easily enough. My question is this: I have a very tight budget. and i want to spend between $300 and $400 and get a body and lens. I want to be able to get GREAT still moon shots, (everything else i can work with, and later perhaps I'll get the telephoto equipment for doing it the right way, but it has to be better than my point and shoot) I love great in the house low light photos, without flash, I don't like flash much although later, again, I am sure I will expand with that, I am a bird nut and want to be able to pick a hawk out of a tree and focus on it with enough detail for identification, and i like sunset, Lake Michigan, nature, green grass, and fall color pictures. I am certain I will get used to the settings in time, ( I really really got into my point and shoot cybershot, and realized the limitations of it, with just using leveling and balance, I could see the obvious shortfalls of clarity, and color and ... ok everything about it) and per my friends who are into photography both amateur and professional, DSLR is the only way to go, and they recommended a budget DSLR. I didn't have a clue what most of the features were and this is where this and other recommended websites have helped educate me.

Which Nikon camera will give me CCD sensor (not really worried about power consumption, I can buy batteries) as good of night shots as an entry level will allow, I am a big guy so camera size and weight don't matter to me, and something that will take excellent pictures of family around the Christmas tree opening gifts or the Thanksgiving turkey. Also I need a descent action quality as my 3yo nephew seems to never quit moving and when he does, I needs to be shot now, in the instant because he just doesn't want to sit still. My choices right now are the Nikon D3000 over the D3100 because of reviews of being a great beginner camera and because of the sensor type. Are there any other Nikon models perhaps older but just as good with comparable qualities of the D3000?

TYIA for your answers and help ... also if someone could point me to a cheap one used in good shape or otherwise, I would also be much obliged.

Reade

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow