the SD1 will offer "unrivaled " image quality............

Started May 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: even then............
In reply to TRIODEROB, May 20, 2011

Let's remember Sigma makes money on lens sales. If the SD1 camera were priced lower (properly so, in my view) they'd have say 100 customers buying the camera ... AND lenses. New SA mount users would buy SD1 + lenses. Current SA mount users would buy SD1 + better lenses...

Instead sell 1 camera (okay maybe 10) to a pro user versus 100 and lenses to pros and prosumers.

Again in theory and in practice, the camera is more a loss leader, like what a store may advertise on "sale." People come for the sale, and buy many other items, not on sale. That's where merchandizing makes profit!

I've spent far more on lenses from Sigma over the years than on camera bodies... and I bought SD10 and SD14 at "full" prices. And I was planning on buying additional lenses... OS and primes. Now I'll hold off...

I really think the marketing (price point) is wrong.... looking at it from Sigma's profit and success point-of-view as well as a (now not) eager buyer of the SD1.

I don't think even the 'pro's' will want a camera starting that $9700 that might be down-priced radically in future years (ie I'll wait 'til the 75% off sale). It really makes the pro buying it look like a laughingstock... no matter HOW good the image quality is, which I do expect to be super. Sigma really had a chance to impact the market with the SD1. At this price point, I don't think they will.
Best regards, Sandy
sfleischmann@gilder.com
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow