Started May 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LavenderLily16
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
gear for hiking in the rain?
May 19, 2011

I'm planning on climbing Mt Fuji this summer and I'm going nuts trying to figure out what equipment I need for my camera - specifically, rain protection. I have an E-520 and I'm going to bring my 25mm pancake (on the camera) and 40-150 kit zoom (in a SlipLock pouch on the waist belt of my daypack ). I'd like to keep my camera out the whole time (with an Op/Tech stabilizer belt http://optechusa.com/stabilizer-strap.html ) rather than constantly taking it out and putting it away again.

The problem, however, is that it tends to be pretty rainy on Mt Fuji. For the life of me I just can't come up with a good solution. Underwater housings are too bulky and expensive, and I wouldn't be able to change lenses. Rain capes seem to be designed for use with a tripod and I'm not convinced they would actually keep a camera dry in my particular situation. I guess my best option is to have a weather-proof holster to pop the camera into when it starts raining, but that would mean that I'd have an extra bag attached to me, which I'd really like to avoid. Any ideas?

FTR, I do have a Stylus 850SW, as well as a Kodak Playsport - but this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I want to bring my good camera, darn it! (And believe me, if I could afford an E-5 and a higher-end, weather-sealed lens, I would get it in a heartbeat!)
TIA!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow