Closeup lens accessory for G12

Started May 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,661Gear list
Like?
Re: Closeup lens accessory for G12
In reply to yooperguy, May 18, 2011

That's a very convincing argument, yooperguy. Makes a lot of sense. Your work is really lovely.

yooperguy wrote:

I have the G11, and use the Lensmate adapter(s) with the Canon 58mm 250D and 500D close-up lenses. However, I can get very good "macro" shots without them. Using the close-up lenses lets me get more distance between the subject and the end of my lens. This lets more light in, and lets me more easily use an off-camera flash. You also get better out of focus backgrounds with close-up lenses. And, you typically use the camera at max zoom range to stand off from the subject. It is recommended to use achromatic lenses for the highest quality, but you can probably get good results with some of the non-achromatics. Here's an older list of recommended achromatics, and you might be able to find good used ones at local camera shops (if you have any, we don't), or from eBay, etc...

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html

Here are some of my available flower shots, with and without the close-up lens. I don't do extreme close-ups, so don't look for any gnats inside a flower...

with the 250D and external flash (click image twice for max size)

with 500D and external flash, taken last week, and not full size (reduced for web)

without a close-up lens, and using a little fill-in flash from the camera

Dennis

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow