Started May 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BudOhio
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,135Gear list
Like?
Vegas... my way :) Part I - Wildlife
May 16, 2011

I was out in Nevada last week, visiting my son, Chris, who is now working with some different parks organizations through The Student Conservation Association. I've never been much for gambling , so we spent 3 days out and about in the desert and mountains... looking for critters.

One of Chris' favorite spots where he has worked, is The Bridge Canyon Wilderness Area... about 1.5 hours south of Vegas, near Laughlin. It's all non-paved roadways back into the canyon area... and the best wildlife viewing I have encountered in Nevada.

Here 's some of my favorite shots of the wildlife we encountered...

Chuckwalla - we followed this one for quite a while as it seemed to move from one location to another... just to stop and pose
K5 and DA*300

Leopard Lizard... beautiful animal
K5 and DA*300

Zebra Lizard

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake
K5 and Vivitar 105

K5 and DA*300

K5 and DA*300

I think that this one is a Diamondback, also, but it looks similar to other species at this age... it was only about 7 inches long. We spent well over 1.5 hours crawling around on the ground shooting these guys... they were sooooo cool!!

K5 and DA*300

My biggest, and most pleasant surprise of the day, however, was a small patch of about 30 bright red, trumpet-shaped penstemons.....

I excitedly yelled to Chris to stop the car... anticipating what else we might find nearby. As soon as we stepped out of the vehicle, the familiar sound of a winged chase was in the air. I didn't get an official count, but I saw, at least, 5 hummingbirds at one time, either perched, chasing or feeding...

Not exactly sure of the species... I know that Anna's, Black-chinned and Costa's are all in the area.

K5 and DA*300 plus 1.7x AFA teleconverter

BudOhio's gear list:BudOhio's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JoeNew
DeanNew
DaveNew
DaveNew
JayNew
DaveNew
dockNew
PeteNew
FredNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow