Low Light, Point-and-Shoot best performer? HELP, please?!?!?!

Started May 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GAMOM
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Low Light, Point-and-Shoot best performer? HELP, please?!?!?!
May 16, 2011

On the market for the best point-and-shoot for my needs. Thanks for your patience with me, a non-photographer with a problem :)...

I need a digital camera that will perform well indoors. From what I have read, this narrows the list down to these, because of the sensors and wide lens:

“The Canon G12 and S95, the Nikon P7000, the Panasonic LX5, the Olympus XZ-1, and the Samsung TL500.”

Next, VERY IMPORTANTLY, which of these cameras has the best auto or NEAR auto modes? Basically, I can learn to adjust a couple things or set a few limits, but I don’t want to delve into lots of manual adjustments, please. SIMPLE.

I know I cannot expect perfection with limited settings learned by a novice, but would like least amount of blur, color issues, etc. Optimal clarity and color in a point and shoot with limited tweaking before picture.

Also, ideally I’d have to do virtually no tweaking afterwards. Yes, bear with me. I have ‘high hopes’. I suppose I am looking for good JPEG out-of-camera results, not requiring lots of editing.

Lastly, I will use this for some video recordings. I am concerned about video quality also.

Thanks for your help in navigating this. I am still pretty lost. I have read some reviewers who criticize a poster for wanting too much. I just want some insights into best candidate for coming close to my ideals. Others say it’s foolish to buy an advanced point-and-shoot if you don’t use all the manual settings. SO, if I’m not going to get any better picture from a few tricks I learn to use on these (“program” setting, limiting the ISO to this level, or using scene mode, etc) than a $200 camera, please enlighten me. No sense spending about $500 on blurry, dark, out of focus results!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow