Started May 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kmac9909
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
GF1 or new G3?
May 16, 2011

I'm a point and shoot user looking to understand more about photography and develop past the point and shoot stage.

To this end (and due to the fact my Minolta died with water damage) I decided to order a GF-1 with the 20mm kit lens and also ordered a the 14-45mm zoom lens.

I will be taking pics indoors or friends and family and also outdoors of natural scenery ( mountains, rivers, wildlife that sort of thing) hence the two lenses.

I went for the GF-1 as it is compact whilst being fully featured as well. Also didn't go for the GF-2 as I wanted the 20mm lens as I;ve heard great things about it.

Now the release of the G3 has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons. I understand this camera has the advantage of 1) built in viewfinder and 2) much better high ISO image quality. G3 will cost me significantly more though as I managed to order
GF-1 plus 20mm for £370

My questions are as follows:
1) Is G3 significantly bulkier than the GF-1

2) Will existing GF-1 owners be migrating to the G3 i.e. is it the natural upgrade route?

Any advice appreciated as I am going to be new to the dark (or light) art of photography.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow