Started May 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ishu
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
C&C: Las Vegas
May 16, 2011

Greetings. I'm back with more pictures. However good they are, I am eager to get better, so honest comments are appreciated. I learned a lot from shooting these pictures, a bit of which I'll share for newbies and others in a separate posting. I tried to focus on composition, since that's been a shortcoming in my work. Feedback on that would be most appreciated.

1. The Las Vegas Strip is a very-photographed subject. Since I was out at dawn instead of dusk, one doesn't see it this "empty" but I'm interested on your views of this shot since it's "been seen before." I suspect the flaring is from the car headlights, but the flashing sign at New York New York could have done it, too. I chose the 5 sec exposure after using shorter exposures in which the moving cars looked weird. So I pushed the aperture up to f/16 to get nice long trails. There's no free lunch in photography.

2. I was attracted to the neon 97cents sign, after spending time on the "other side" of the city. The trick was trying to find the right composition for it. I don't know whether this does the job. Also, I post-processed in Nikon View NX, adding another 1/2 EV (in-camera had +1), and +20 D-lighting HS.

3. CityCenter actually looks "less Vegas" than other parts of the city.

4. This view of CityCenter is a even more abstract and even "less Vegas," thanks to the architecture.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow