Unmissable New York photo opportunitiees - advice please!

Started May 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul W, UK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033
Like?
Unmissable New York photo opportunitiees - advice please!
May 15, 2011

I am off to New York for six days holiday at the end of this month, staying with an old friend who just moved there a couple of months ago. I'll be based near Central Park near the intersection of 50th Street and 7th Avenue - what a location.

So what I need is advice about the must see things, places and locations photographically. I am into all sorts of photography from architectural, landscape, street, people - anything. So what would you say is a must see. Any tempting photos or web links much appreciated as well.

Also any specific advice for dusk/night shot view points (dawn also if I can make it one day), including any buildings with good access to wonderful viewpoints would be fantastic (I will of course include the Empire State possibly from dusk through to sunset and to night). Also locations off Manhattan that are pretty accessible by ferry or subway.

Finally, any tempting photos, or website links would also be great, and of course any food recommendations for any favourite places to eat...oh and any advice of things not to do I guess to be safe.

All advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

PS I will of course be visiting the Guggenheim, MOMA and Central Park...but advice for best photo exhibitions and the best photo store in NY for second hand Minolta/Sony lenses would be great. I'm into all the old masters right through to contempoary photographers and know NY has the best photography collections in the world. Also for Central Park - are there specific areas to go to ( e.g Japanese Gardens, etc...)

PPS Sorry for so many questions, but I'm excited at the prospect.

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/paulwin

A350, Sony 16-105mm, Minolta 50mm f1.4, 70-300mm; 30-70mm macro; Sigma 10-20mm. 70mm f2.8 macro
Lightroom

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow