E-PL2 bokeh and lens cap?

Started May 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,232Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PL2 bokeh and lens cap?
In reply to Mustatirri, May 14, 2011

For the beginner, the easiest way to get shallow DOF is to shoot a relatively close subject with a telephoto lens. You can do this by shooting with your kit lens at 42mm f/5.6. It should give a more shallow DOF than you're used to with a P&S compact.

Before you pick up a 20mm/1.7, I'd recommend getting the bargain M.ZD 40-150mm lens--it's an excellent value. Shooting with a prime lens like the 20mm isn't for everyone, but I guarantee you'll be able to use the 40-150mm for all kinds of situations. Using the telephoto in the 40-75mm should produce some nice portraits, plus the lens AFs very quickly.

I don't own this lens because I have several options in the range including the 45-200mm and the ZD 50mm/2, but my brother just went from a ZS1 to a E-PL1 and I recommended he buy the 40-150mm while he could still get a deal from Staples--he loves it. He's taken some great portraits of his wife and infant son.

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow