G3 heralds the end of APS-C DSLRs

Started May 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 44,655Gear list
Like?
Re: and that's before we talk AF micro-adjust! ;-)
In reply to Yohan Pamudji, May 14, 2011

Yohan Pamudji wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

Because that "obsolete design" can actually track and shoot fast moving subjects, whereas this technology cannot.

... for now.

For the foreseeable future.

I believe the issue with CDAF currently is the readout speed of the sensor.

No, it's the ability to move the lens' focusing elements and stop them. In low-light, it's the light available.

Already we're getting to 120 frames per second. As technology improves and that readout speed keeps increasing along with faster processor speeds, CDAF will get better and better.

Still waiting for it to get better. It hasn't gotten much better in the last 10 years or so.

PDAF is a very mature technology with some well-documented issues.

Most of which are imagined or largely overcome. I've owned 7 SLRs and about 30 lenses. I've had exactly one problem with one combination of lens/body, and that was corrected as a defect under warranty

CDAF eliminates those issues while introducing ones of its own. The difference is that the main issue with PDAF (keeping all elements of the imaging path in perfect alignment to ensure accuracy)

That's not the issue with PDAF. The issue is constant and known path length for the two separate optical paths (main sensor/AF sensors).

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Nah,New
Ahh,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow