Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 44,090Gear list
Like?
Re: Even if you were right, you'd be wrong
In reply to Yohan Pamudji, May 14, 2011

Yohan Pamudji wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

Larger sensors still win.

True. But as I said earlier, there could come a point where it no longer matters--a point where m4/3 quality is good enough for the vast majority of people and its size advantage weighs more heavily than its image quality deficiency compared to APS-C DSLRs.

A majority of people are happy with cell phone cameras and compacts. That doesn't mean performance doesn't matter to enthusiasts and professionals.

That is where m4/3 could overtake APS-C DSLRs, not in terms of image quality alone but in terms of overall system appeal.

They aren't really any smaller. That's their problem. You still can't pocket them, so you still have to "wear" them, either around your neck or in a bag.

Even if you were right (which you aren't), this camera shows how these cameras can never be small and include a half-way decent EVF at the same time. Good EVF = big EVF optics, as any telescope owner knows (telescope eyepieces follow the same rule, of course). And these cameras have little point if they aren't small, which they aren't, especially if you include a lens.

Depends what you consider a small camera and half-way decent EVF. Having not used a G3 I can't comment on the quality of its EVF, but I'd consider that a small camera.

I'd consider it no smaller than my 5D. Still goes in a bag, and the bag isn't really any smaller.

It's significantly smaller than entry level DSLRs like Canon's Digital Rebels and Nikon's D5100. More crucially it's part of a small system, i.e. m4/3. While the camera itself is quite a bit smaller than DSLRs in the same class, it really presses the advantage in terms of overall system size. G3 plus a few lenses will be much, much smaller and lighter than the equivalent DSLR system.

No, an "equivalent' full-frame system will actually be smaller. But there is no equivalent available, for the most part, so what you're saying is that you can give up some performance in exchange for a modest decrease in size. Of course you can do that with APS-c and full-frame dSLRs too by choosing to use slower lenses.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Nah,New
Ahh,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow